Ginger Pomegranate Glazed Cornish Hens
Cornish Hens are a young and tender bread of chicken normally sold at under 2 lbs each. As the name suggests they were originally bred in the region of Cornwall on the southwest coast of England. They are wonderful roasted and glazed. For a dinner party, they make a great table presentation.
This recipe combines the sweet warmth of ginger with tart pomegranates for a delicious centerpiece.
Thanks to Sunday Bacon for the recipe and images.
INGREDIENTS4 cornish hens, giblets removed
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Pat hens dry & carefully pull back skin & tuck 1 pat of butter between the skin and meat of each breast
- Rub each chicken with Verdant Kitchen Ginger Syrup then season with salt & pepper
- Fill the bottom of a roasting pan with chicken broth and cloves then place a roasting rack in the pan
- Place hens on a roasting rack then arrange onion, garlic, carrots, lemon & rosemary sprigs around hens
- Transfer to oven for 80-90 minutes, basting halfway through with glaze (made below), until hens are cooked through and reach an internal temperature of 165F
- Remove hens from oven & transfer to a serving platter
- Generously drizzle with ginger pomegranate glaze and garnish with pomegranate seeds
- In a pot, whisk together Verdant Kitchen Ginger Preserves & pomegranate juice over medium-high
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat & cook 12-15 minutes, until thickened
- Use this glaze to baste the hens halfway through cooking and when they come out of the oven then serve remaining glaze on the side